I'm going to let you in on a little secret of mine. I am a 'chopaholic'. Put on the music and let me have some fresh food, a cutting board and a sharp knife and I'm guaranteed to have a good time chopping away in the kitchen. Brown Rice Medley is one of my favorite dishes to prepare. This recipe puts my chopping skills to good use because it involves finely chopping celery, red onion, apple and fresh kale. All this chopping can easily be accomplished with a food processor instead of a knife.
This medley is bursting with sweet, crunchy, juicy morsels coated with a very light dressing. For those of you who can't stand the taste of kale (not naming names here) you can substitute fresh parsley and the recipe will be just fine.
I recommend preparing this the night before you plan on serving it to let all the flavors meld. I like to mix up a big batch because this medley gets even better the longer it marinates. The first portions will be tasty but the next day's will be even better.
The base of this recipe calls for 4 cups of cooked brown rice. Once all the ingredients are mixed together you will have 8 cups to serve. If you don't want to make as much as this recipe calls for you could easily use half portions of all the ingredients. I enjoy bringing this dish to a potluck meal so I can share my love of tasty, attractive and nutritious food. It can be served any time of year: at a holiday gathering or picnic. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Brown Rice Medley
This medley is loaded with sweet, crunchy and juicy morsels coated with a very light dressing. I like to prepare this the night before to really let all the flavors meld. Makes a great dish for a pot luck meal.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: Brown rice takes about 50 minutes to cook. Or you can use the frozen brown rice that you heat up in the microwave for 3 minutes.
Total time: 15-60 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 finely chopped organic apple
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh kale or fresh parsley
- Prepare brown rice.
- In a small bowl whisk together vinegar, syrup and oil. Set dressing aside.
- In a large bowl add rice together with remaining ingredients.
- Stir mixture so that all ingredients are distributed.
- Stir in dressing and mix well to evenly coat.
- Can be eaten immediately but will taste even better if you let it marinate overnight.
- Refrigerate in a covered bowl.