We sometimes want a little pick me up in the afternoon or a soothing calm drink in the evening. Instead of a sugared snack or an alcoholic beverage we have taken to enjoying a simple cup of tea.
For a little break in the afternoon, no need to nibble on a snack. Instead, we slowly sip on tea. For some reason we’ve found this activity seems to stave off any feelings of hunger until dinner. In the evenings, when we feel the need to calm down we’ll enjoy a warm soothing cup of tea.
We prefer decaffeinated green tea. We steep our tea for 10 minutes to gain the full benefits and don’t add any sweeteners. Until a few years ago, Marty never drank tea. The orange pekoe tea he tasted growing up made him retch.
Green tea has some caffeine unless it is decaffeinated. Depending how long it is brewed, an 8-ounce cup of regular green tea can have 24-45 mg of caffeine. As a comparison an 8-ounce cup of brewed coffee has between 95-200 mg of caffeine depending on how it is roasted and grinded.
Studies show compelling reasons to drink green tea due to the many health benefits.
- Green tea has powerful antioxidants that may protect against cancer.
- Green tea can cause mild reductions in blood sugar levels. It may also lower the risk of developing type II diabetes in the long term.
- Green tea drinkers have a lower risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Drinking green tea can reduce the risk of both Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s, the two most common neurodegenerative disorders.
Keeping our bodies hydrated by drinking liquids and eating water-based foods such as fruits and vegetables contributes to our overall good health. We drink water with our meals and occasionally a glass of red wine. We do not drink any soda pop at all because of its harmful effects on the body. Whether it has aspartame or high fructose corn syrup, along with all the other myriad ingredients, it provides absolutely no nutritional value. And multiple studies indicate sweetened beverages play a significant role in chronic disease. By regularly drinking a refreshing cup of green tea we are gaining health benefits without the calories.
- Substitute a cup of green tea for a snack.
- Chill out with a cup of tea instead of alcohol.